Thursday, October 9, 2008

Barefoot in the Rain


It rains a lot here in Florida. Normally I would reschedule a run if it were raining, but tonight I felt different. My thinking was, "Well, if I were in an adventure race and it started raining, would I go find a big tree to hide under?" Of course not. I would keep going. That means I need to get used to it. Next will be mud, then, snow, and whatever else mother nature brings. Tonight it was rain.

Since I'm working only 2 miles from the ocean, I headed straight for the beach. Stretched for about 10 minutes (per the training program I downloaded last night) and headed out for a 6 mile run on the beach barefoot. My 2 purple toes needed a break from the shoes, and besides how better to keep one's training constantly varied! I was supposed to keep a 10 minute pace, but I forgot that beach running is a little bit different than regular running. Pace was more in the 12-13 minutes per mile range. I ran as close to the water as I could because that's where the harder packed sand was. Otherwise I would have really put my legs through some abuse. It must have been high tide, because the sand wasn't packed as hard as I remembered it to be which made the run a bit more strenuous. But I got into a groove nonetheless.

Shortly after starting I noticed a 20 somethings couple follow me in a run. We were the only people on the beach. And I thought it was weird that they just suddenly decided to go running too. Such crazy people. Anyway, after about a half a mile they got farther and farther away from me and when I looked back after about a mile they were gone. Made me feel good that I can out-run those much younger than I. :-)

The rain had been on and off since I started, but all of sudden disappeared. The clouds started opening up and the light from the moon came just in time to light my way. Good thing because I didn't have any lights on me tonight. It was actually quite beautiful...the moon reflections on the surf, the gentle breeze, the smell of the sea air. It was enough to keep my attention occupied, seeing how I didn't have my ipod with me tonight.

On the way back, there was some really cool lightening far out on the horizon. I started counting 1,2,3,4,5,etc. to determine how many miles away it way, but the sound of thunder never came. It seemed I was safe from lightening. However I picked up the pace in any case for the return journey. It was a really good thing I had my training watch on tonight because otherwise I'm not sure I would have found my way back. There aren't a lot of landmarks on this particular beach and all the lifeguard huts looked the same. In the dark you can't read anything, and with everything looking the same, it can be quite disorienting. It woke me up to the fact that I need to be very aware of my STARTING location so that if my watch stops working or I don't have it, I can find my way back.

On Monday I went back on the zone diet again which is helping to keep my energy levels up. Now I just need to figure out how to get more sleep!

Thursday 10/09/09 Workout
"Helen"
Three rounds for time:
-Run 400 meters
-1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
-12 Pull-ups
Time: 9:55 (scaled with jumping pull ups)

Wednesday 10/08/08 Workout
4 rounds for time:
-200m Run
-100m Farmer walk
-10 Wall Ball 14#
-20 Pushups
-20 Kettlebell Swings 35#
-20 Squats
-20 Double Unders or 60 Singles (I did singles)
Time: 30:26

Tuesday 10/07/08 Workout
"Nicole"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
-Run 400 meters
-Max rep Pull-ups

+ 9.25 mile run

No comments: